We’ve put together this list of outdoor activities that are a bit out of the box so you can discover something new to do in the new year.
- You can be in the water, under the water, floating on top of the water… But have you ever tried hovering above it? Welcome to hydrofoiling – the fastest growing watersport on the planet.
- Think of it as a cross between a surfboard and a flying carpet. You stand on the board with a wireless remote in your hand, which controls the eclectic engine beneath. Once you get going, the board flies above the surface giving you a super smooth ride without the need for waves, wind or towing.
- You can try this new pastime on some of Gold Coast’s most gorgeous waterways including the Broadwater and Currumbin Creek with Gold Coast Hydrofoil Tours and eFoil GC. Hydrofoiling is suitable for anyone aged 12 and older.
This retro pastime is experiencing a resurgence in popularity and it’s not hard to see why. Any smooth surface fair game – cruise bike paths and walkways, local basketball courts, hit a skate park or head to a dedicated rink.
- Let the good times roll this summer at HOTA’s pop up Roller Rink from December 10 – January 23.
- Learn the basics or take your skating to the next level with Fun Daze. Book a lesson or adventure day and they’ll help you push your boundaries and build your skills with freestyle park skating.
Rise above it all and take to the skies for a truly joyful experience – parasailing! Gold Coast Watersports will take you out for a boat ride across the Broadwater to reach the fly zone before you get strapped into a very safe and secure harness and clipped to your parachute, before you’re released slowly into the sky. Once you’re at optimal altitude your skipper will follow the thermals so you’re hovering far above it all on a magical and memorable flight. While you’re up there, you’ll enjoy 360 views of the city skyline, South Stradbroke Island, the ocean and the hinterland. You can parasail solo or tandem, and this activity is accessible for all abilities. Minimum age/weight is 6 years old and 22kg. A parasailing adventure will leave you with a grin on your face long after you’ve come back down to earth.
- We’ve got the highest number of golf courses per capita in the world on the Gold Coast, but not everyone has the time or patience to play a game that lasts for hours.
- Mini golf is the perfect alternative. It provides a challenge, massive amounts of fun and is enjoyed by folks of all ages, making it the perfect family activity.
- You can play out in the fresh air and sunshine if you prefer at places like the Boulders & Badlands course at the Parkwood Golf Club. Kids will love the themed courses at Putt Putt Mermaid Beach and King Tutt’s Putt Putt in Surfer Paradise.
- If the weather’s wet, head to Holey Moley in Surfers Paradise to play a crazy course with pop culture references and lots of laughs.
If the idea of hurtling downhill through natural terrain at speed is thrilling to you, then mountain biking is going to be a good time.
It’s a full body workout, great for balance and coordination. Since it requires you to immerse yourself in nature, which is proven to make us feel good, mountain biking ticks the box for mental, physical and emotional benefits. Many mountain biking enthusiasts say it’s an addictive sport – the feel good factor is strong!
- Head to Boomerang Farm Mountain Bike Park in Mudgeeraba for a wide range of trails that cater to all skill levels. The park also features a dirt jump area comprising multiple lines from intermediate through to advanced, along with a pump track.
- Experienced riders looking for a high-adrenaline run can head to Eagle Heights to tackle the Old Tambo Downhill Mountain Bike Track. It features fast flowing corners, rollers, dips, gaps and a nice chillout section through treed grasslands before the tight and technical bermed corners, drop offs and steep grades to exit.
- Want to join a community of fellow mountain bikers? Join Gold Coast Mountain Bike Club. They hold rides for beginners to learn essential skills. Or meet new people and explore new trails on their social rides. Sign up to discover where to ride on the Gold Coast and enter events.
Live out your motor racing dreams in miniature and satisfy your need for speed with some laps around the track in a go kart. Fast, furious and fun, it’s guaranteed to get your heart racing and the adrenaline racing. Slideways Go Karting has two tracks on the Gold Coast – an outdoor track in Pimpama, and an indoor track in Nerang, which features a specially surfaced track made for drifting round corners. Xtreme Karting in Pimpama is part of the Gold Coast Motorsport Training Centre where you can race on tarmac or dirt circuits (and enter competitive racing events once you’ve honed your skills).
Go Karting, fast, furious and fun.
Welcome to hydrofoiling – the fastest growing watersport on the planet.
Lumber Punks, it’s a bit like playing darts, but with axes.
- Try your hand at axe throwing at Lumber Punks in Miami.
- It’s a bit like playing darts, but with axes. You’ll get some preliminary skills and safety training to start the session, practicing with smaller training axes before moving on to the big guns (well axes, actually).
- The staff can help you perfect your technique and before long you’ll be rewarded with the deeply satisfying “thunk” of the axe burying itself in the bullseye.
- If you love it, you can join the Lumber Punks Axe League and take part in solo and team competitions. Whilst this activity is mainly for the 18+ crowd, children aged 14-17 can take part with a parent present and participate in the session.
The Gold Coast is about to become home to the world’s-first floating reef, Wonder Reef.
This incredible dive attraction created from nine sculptural flutes covered in coral and marine life is being built a couple of kilometres off the shore at The Spit and will be on the bucket list of divers from all over the world.
Now is the perfect time to get your SCUBA licence so you can experience it for yourself. Divers rave about the feeling of freedom and weightlessness underwater, and the beauty of the marine environment.
There are lots of good dive sites around the waters of the Gold Coast where you’ll see all sorts of fish, turtles, rays, dugongs, sharks and a couple of historic wrecks as well. Get in touch with one of these experienced and reputable dive schools to explore the underwater world.
- To achieve inner balance, you need outer balance and practicing paddleboard yoga is a great way to get both.
- Pure Aloha holds SUP Yoga lessons on Tallebudgera Creek. It’s a great way to improve core strength and have some fun – if you fall off you’re swimming in crystal clear waters.
- It’s also a wonderful way to enjoy the serene surroundings and connect into your inner peace. Yes please!
- You can bring your own SUP board or use one of theirs for your lesson. Give it a go and find your flow. For that extra zen, book a full moon sunset experience.
- This hybrid between water skiing and snowboarding is a great full body workout, but you’ll be having such a good time, you won’t even notice you’re exercising.
- Thanks to Gold Coast Wake Park you don’t need to own your own boat to enjoy it either.
- Located in Oxenford, the park provides the perfect opportunity to get the hang of wakeboarding in a supportive environment, with guidance and instruction from experienced coaches.
- But falling off is all part of the fun! They’ve got an after school program, kids club, ladies classes and plenty of events including expression sessions for experienced riders.
- It’s a very social sport and great for the family to do together, so whether you’re into skilling, wakeboarding or kneeboarding, get down to the lake and learn something new.
For any real estate need either Buying or Selling or Investing , contact me either via email or phone given below.